Friday, June 29, 2007

Made New

My Grandma Grace is now in Heaven. It has been a challenging few weeks. She actually passed on June 14. We spent the last 5 days & nights at her bed side.

There are tons of wonderful things I can share with you but I will start with this:

Mikkena knows that grandma knew Jesus and that she would go to heaven when she died. I was worried that she would get confused at the funeral visitation that Grandma was still here. So, I made sure we talked about leaving the "old" body here and getting a new one in heaven.
At the visitation Mikkena and I walked up to the coffin and she said, "Yep, that kinda looks like Grandma" then she paused a minute. Then she said " Do we get to see her new body?" I told her that we would have to wait until it was our turn to go to heaven. She was a little disappointed that she had to wait. She is so very excited that Grandma got to go to heaven. It seems a little strange to have her so happy about something that makes most people cry.

3 comments:

Katie R. said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandma but, I'm happy too that she knows Jesus. At my uncle's funeral two years ago we had a similar conversation with Isaiah and he handled it very well. I was saddened to hear my cousin tell his little girl that uncle was just sleeping. How confusing and much more scary in the long run for a little person. I think kiddos understand much more than some people give them credit for.

kristi noser said...

I thought it was cool that she told people in the nursing home (?) all excitedly that Gramma was in heaven!
I am so sorry for your loss, but kinda glad that watching how Mikkena's handling it is making it easier.

erin said...

I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm also proud of you for telling your daughter the truth. It would be a lot easier to say, "Grandma's asleep," like Katie's cousin did.
Good parenting. : )